What is short-term accommodation?
In Singapore, short-term accommodation is defined as stays of less than three consecutive months.
According to URA guidelines, owners or landlords of residential property cannot use their property for the short-term accommodation. In other words, they cannot lease out their property for stays of less than three consecutive months. This means they cannot rent out their property to short-term visitors such as tourists who usually tend to stay for only a couple of days.
What is the minimum lease period?
Under URA guidelines, landlords must offer a lease of at least 3 months if they wish to rent out their private property.
So if you are a prospective tenant, you have to sign a contract for a private room or apartment rental for a minimum of 3 months.
What are some instances in which you may require temporary accommodation of at least 3 months?
Sometimes, certain life’s circumstances mean you may require temporary accommodation of at least 3 months elsewhere.
- You may need to move out of your permanent home temporarily because you’re renovating their existing home.
- You’re in-between homes i.e., you’ve sold off your existing home but your new home is not ready. Perhaps you’ve sold off your HDB flat to upgrade to a condo, but the timing of completion for the purchase is still some way off or your condo is undergoing renovations.
- You are a newlywed couple who wants to live together while waiting for the keys to their Build-to-Order (BTO) HDB flat or you’re still waiting for renovation of your new flat to be completed.
- You’re a professional from abroad who has to work in Singapore for a couple of months on a project basis.
- You are a millennial who wants to move out from the family home temporarily in order to get a taste of independence.
- You want to try living in different locations in Singapore … just for the fun of it!
- You want to explore living in different neighbourhoods before deciding on an area in which to buy your first home.
Where can you find temporary accommodation of at least 3 months in Singapore?
If you need to find temporary accommodation for a couple of months only (but for at least 3 months), one option to secure a place to stay is to rent a room in a co-living space.
Why’s that so? Well, that’s because co-living spaces usually come fully furnished, with utilities, wifi and cleaning included in the rent. So it’s very hassle-free and convenient because the unit or room is move-in ready. Check out more perks of living in a co-living space here.
There are plenty of co-living service providers in Singapore, including Bespoke Habitat. If you’re keen on such temporary accommodation of at least 3 months, explore our spaces now.